• Depressed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Concave on the upper side; -- said of a leaf whose disk is lower than the border.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Depress
- (a.) Having the vertical diameter shorter than the horizontal or transverse; -- said of the bodies of animals, or of parts of the bodies.
- (a.) Lying flat; -- said of a stem or leaf which lies close to the ground.
- (a.) Pressed or forced down; lowed; sunk; dejected; dispirited; sad; humbled.
• Depress Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cast a gloom upon; to sadden; as, his spirits were depressed.
- (v. t.) To bring down or humble; to abase, as pride.
- (v. t.) To lessen in price; to cause to decline in value; to cheapen; to depreciate.
- (v. t.) To press down; to cause to sink; to let fall; to lower; as, to depress the muzzle of a gun; to depress the eyes.
- (a.) Having the middle lower than the border; concave.
- (v. t.) To lessen the activity of; to make dull; embarrass, as trade, commerce, etc.
- (v. t.) To reduce (an equation) in a lower degree.