• Dingdong Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The sound of, or as of, repeated strokes on a metallic body, as a bell; a repeated and monotonous sound.
- (n.) An attachment to a clock by which the quarter hours are struck upon bells of different tones.
• Dingdong theory Definition & Synonyms
- () The theory which maintains that the primitive elements of language are reflex expressions induced by sensory impressions; that is, as stated by Max Muller, the creative faculty gave to each general conception as it thrilled for the first time through the brain a phonetic expression; -- jocosely so called from the analogy of the sound of a bell induced by the stroke of the clapper.