• Distance Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Space between two antagonists in fencing.
- (v. t.) To cause to appear as if at a distance; to make seem remote.
- (v. t.) To outstrip by as much as a distance (see Distance, n., 3); to leave far behind; to surpass greatly.
- (n.) Relative space, between troops in ranks, measured from front to rear; -- contrasted with interval, which is measured from right to left.
- (n.) Length or interval of time; period, past or future, between two eras or events.
- (n.) The remoteness or reserve which respect requires; hence, respect; ceremoniousness.
- (n.) The interval between two notes; as, the distance of a fourth or seventh.
- (n.) Ideal disjunction; discrepancy; contrariety.
- (n.) Remoteness of place; a remote place.
- (n.) The space between two objects; the length of a line, especially the shortest line joining two points or things that are separate; measure of separation in place.
- (n.) The part of a picture which contains the representation of those objects which are the farthest away, esp. in a landscape.
- (v. t.) To place at a distance or remotely.
- (n.) A withholding of intimacy; alienation; coldness; disagreement; variance; restraint; reserve.
- (n.) Remoteness in succession or relation; as, the distance between a descendant and his ancestor.
- (n.) A space marked out in the last part of a race course.
• Distanced Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Distance