• Distinguish Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To become distinguished or distinctive; to make ones self or itself discernible.
- (v. t.) To recognize or discern by marks, signs, or characteristic quality or qualities; to know and discriminate (anything) from other things with which it might be confounded; as, to distinguish the sound of a drum.
- (v. t.) To constitute a difference; to make to differ.
- (v. i.) To make distinctions; to perceive the difference; to exercise discrimination; -- with between; as, a judge distinguishes between cases apparently similar, but differing in principle.
- (v. t.) To separate by definition of terms or logical division of a subject with regard to difference; as, to distinguish sounds into high and low.
- (v. t.) To separate from others by a mark of honor; to make eminent or known; to confer distinction upon; -- with by or for.
- (v. t.) Not set apart from others by visible marks; to make distinctive or discernible by exhibiting differences; to mark off by some characteristic.
• Distinguishable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being distinguished; separable; divisible; discernible; capable of recognition; as, a tree at a distance is distinguishable from a shrub.
- (a.) Worthy of note or special regard.