• Distinguishing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Distinguish
- (a.) Constituting difference, or distinction from everything else; distinctive; peculiar; characteristic.
• Distinguish Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To become distinguished or distinctive; to make ones self or itself discernible.
- (v. t.) To recognize or discern by marks, signs, or characteristic quality or qualities; to know and discriminate (anything) from other things with which it might be confounded; as, to distinguish the sound of a drum.
- (v. t.) To constitute a difference; to make to differ.
- (v. i.) To make distinctions; to perceive the difference; to exercise discrimination; -- with between; as, a judge distinguishes between cases apparently similar, but differing in principle.
- (v. t.) To separate by definition of terms or logical division of a subject with regard to difference; as, to distinguish sounds into high and low.
- (v. t.) To separate from others by a mark of honor; to make eminent or known; to confer distinction upon; -- with by or for.
- (v. t.) Not set apart from others by visible marks; to make distinctive or discernible by exhibiting differences; to mark off by some characteristic.
• Distinguishingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) With distinction; with some mark of preference.