• Doting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Dote
- (a.) That dotes; silly; excessively fond.
• Dot Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To mark with dots or small spots; as, to dot a line.
- (v. t.) To mark or diversify with small detached objects; as, a landscape dotted with cottages.
- (n.) A small point or spot, made with a pen or other pointed instrument; a speck, or small mark.
- (v. i.) To make dots or specks.
- (n.) A marriage portion; dowry.
- (n.) Anything small and like a speck comparatively; a small portion or specimen; as, a dot of a child.
• Dote Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To be weak-minded, silly, or idiotic; to have the intellect impaired, especially by age, so that the mind wanders or wavers; to drivel.
- (n.) An imbecile; a dotard.
- (v. i.) To be excessively or foolishly fond; to love to excess; to be weakly affectionate; -- with on or upon; as, the mother dotes on her child.
- (v. i.) To act foolishly.
- (n.) A marriage portion. [Obs.] See 1st Dot, n.
- (n.) Natural endowments.