• Engraving Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or art of producing upon hard material incised or raised patterns, characters, lines, and the like; especially, the art of producing such lines, etc., in the surface of metal plates or blocks of wood. Engraving is used for the decoration of the surface itself; also, for producing an original, from which a pattern or design may be printed on paper.
- (n.) An impression from an engraved plate, block of wood, or other material; a print.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Engrave
- (n.) That which is engraved; an engraved plate.
• Engrave Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To impress deeply; to infix, as if with a graver.
- (v. t.) To cut with a graving instrument in order to form an inscription or pictorial representation; to carve figures; to mark with incisions.
- (v. t.) To form or represent by means of incisions upon wood, stone, metal, or the like; as, to engrave an inscription.
- (v. t.) To cut in; to make by incision.
- (v. t.) To deposit in the grave; to bury.