• Excuse Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To free from an impending obligation or duty; hence, to disengage; to dispense with; to release by favor; also, to remit by favor; not to exact; as, to excuse a forfeiture.
- (v. t.) To regard with indulgence; to view leniently or to overlook; to pardon.
- (v. t.) That which excuses; that which extenuates or justifies a fault.
- (v. t.) The act of excusing, apologizing, exculpating, pardoning, releasing, and the like; acquittal; release; absolution; justification; extenuation.
- (v. t.) To relieve of an imputation by apology or defense; to make apology for as not seriously evil; to ask pardon or indulgence for.
- (v. t.) To pardon, as a fault; to forgive entirely, or to admit to be little censurable, and to overlook; as, we excuse irregular conduct, when extraordinary circumstances appear to justify it.
- (v. t.) That which is offered as a reason for being excused; a plea offered in extenuation of a fault or irregular deportment; apology; as, an excuse for neglect of duty; excuses for delay of payment.
- (v. t.) To free from accusation, or the imputation of fault or blame; to clear from guilt; to release from a charge; to justify by extenuating a fault; to exculpate; to absolve; to acquit.
• Excuser Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who excuses or forgives another.
- (n.) One who offers excuses or pleads in extenuation of the fault of another.
• Excusement Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Excuse.