• Fray Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To frighten; to terrify; to alarm.
- (v. t.) To rub; to wear off, or wear into shreds, by rubbing; to fret, as cloth; as, a deer is said to fray her head.
- (n.) A fret or chafe, as in cloth; a place injured by rubbing.
- (v. t.) To bear the expense of; to defray.
- (n.) Affray; broil; contest; combat.
- (v. i.) To rub.
- (v. i.) To wear out or into shreads, or to suffer injury by rubbing, as when the threads of the warp or of the woof wear off so that the cross threads are loose; to ravel; as, the cloth frays badly.
• Frayed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Fray