• games Definition & Synonyms
- () A modified revival of the ancient Olympian games, consisting of international athletic games, races, etc., now held once in four years, the first having been at Athens in 1896.
• Gam Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A herd, or school, of whales.
- (n.) A visit between whalers at sea; a holding of social intercourse between those on different vessels at sea, or (Local U. S.) between persons ashore.
- (v. i.) To gather in a gam; -- said of whales.
- (v. i.) To engage in a gam, or (Local, U. S.) in social intercourse anywhere.
- (v. t.) To have a gam with; to pay a visit to, esp. among whalers at sea.
• Game Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To rejoice; to be pleased; -- often used, in Old English, impersonally with dative.
- (v. i.) Animals pursued and taken by sportsmen; wild meats designed for, or served at, table.
- (v. i.) A scheme or art employed in the pursuit of an object or purpose; method of procedure; projected line of operations; plan; project.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to such animals as are hunted for game, or to the act or practice of hunting.
- (v. i.) A contest, physical or mental, according to certain rules, for amusement, recreation, or for winning a stake; as, a game of chance; games of skill; field games, etc.
- (v. i.) In some games, a point credited on the score to the player whose cards counts up the highest.
- (v. i.) The use or practice of such a game; a single match at play; a single contest; as, a game at cards.
- (n.) Crooked; lame; as, a game leg.
- (a.) Having a resolute, unyielding spirit, like the gamecock; ready to fight to the last; plucky.
- (n.) To play for a stake or prize; to use cards, dice, billiards, or other instruments, according to certain rules, with a view to win money or other thing waged upon the issue of the contest; to gamble.
- (v. i.) Sport of any kind; jest, frolic.
- (n.) To play at any sport or diversion.
- (v. i.) That which is gained, as the stake in a game; also, the number of points necessary to be scored in order to win a game; as, in short whist five points are game.
• Gamesome Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Gay; sportive; playful; frolicsome; merry.
• Gamester Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A merry, frolicsome person.
- (n.) A person who plays at games; esp., one accustomed to play for a stake; a gambler; one skilled in games.
- (n.) A prostitute; a strumpet.