• Independent Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Belonging or pertaining to, or holding to the doctrines or methods of, the Independents.
- (a.) Not bound by party; exercising a free choice in voting with either or any party.
- (a.) Not dependent upon another quantity in respect to value or rate of variation; -- said of quantities or functions.
- (n.) One who does not acknowledge an obligation to support a partys candidate under all circumstances; one who exercises liberty in voting.
- (a.) Not dependent; free; not subject to control by others; not relying on others; not subordinate; as, few men are wholly independent.
- (a.) Affording a comfortable livelihood; as, an independent property.
- (a.) Expressing or indicating the feeling of independence; free; easy; bold; unconstrained; as, an independent air or manner.
- (n.) One who believes that an organized Christian church is complete in itself, competent to self-government, and independent of all ecclesiastical authority.
- (a.) Not subject to bias or influence; not obsequious; self-directing; as, a man of an independent mind.
- (a.) Separate from; exclusive; irrespective.
• Independentism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Independency; the church system of Independents.