• Insure Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Specifically, to secure against a loss by a contingent event, on certain stipulated conditions, or at a given rate or premium; to give or to take an insurance on or for; as, a merchant insures his ship or its cargo, or both, against the dangers of the sea; goods and buildings are insured against fire or water; persons are insured against sickness, accident, or death; and sometimes hazardous debts are insured.
- (v. i.) To underwrite; to make insurance; as, a company insures at three per cent.
- (v. t.) To make sure or secure; as, to insure safety to any one.
• Insurer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, insures; the person or company that contracts to indemnify losses for a premium; an underwriter.
• Insured Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Insure