• Knight Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One on whom knighthood, a dignity next below that of baronet, is conferred by the sovereign, entitling him to be addressed as Sir; as, Sir John.
- (v. t.) To dub or create (one) a knight; -- done in England by the sovereign only, who taps the kneeling candidate with a sword, saying: Rise, Sir ---.
- (n.) In feudal times, a man-at-arms serving on horseback and admitted to a certain military rank with special ceremonies, including an oath to protect the distressed, maintain the right, and live a stainless life.
- (n.) A piece used in the game of chess, usually bearing a horses head.
- (n.) A playing card bearing the figure of a knight; the knave or jack.
- (n.) A champion; a partisan; a lover.
- (n.) A young servant or follower; a military attendant.
• Knight Templar Definition & Synonyms
- () See Commandery, n., 3, and also Templar, n., 1 and 3.
• Knights service Definition & Synonyms
- () Service such as a knight can or should render; hence, good or valuable service.
- () The military service by rendering which a knight held his lands; also, the tenure of lands held on condition of performing military service.