• Leave Definition & Synonyms
- (v.) To cease from; to desist from; to abstain from.
- (v.) To let be or do without interference; as, I left him to his reflections; I leave my hearers to judge.
- (v.) To withdraw ones self from; to go away from; to depart from; as, to leave the house.
- (v. i.) To send out leaves; to leaf; -- often with out.
- (v.) To desert; to abandon; to forsake; hence, to give up; to relinquish.
- (v. t.) To raise; to levy.
- (v. i.) To depart; to set out.
- (v.) To put; to place; to deposit; to deliver; to commit; to submit -- with a sense of withdrawing ones self from; as, leave your hat in the hall; we left our cards; to leave the matter to arbitrators.
- (v. i.) To cease; to desist; to leave off.
- (v.) To have remaining at death; hence, to bequeath; as, he left a large estate; he left a good name; he left a legacy to his niece.
- (v.) To let remain unremoved or undone; to let stay or continue, in distinction from what is removed or changed.
- (n.) The act of leaving or departing; a formal parting; a leaving; farewell; adieu; -- used chiefly in the phrase, to take leave, i. e., literally, to take permission to go.
- (n.) Liberty granted by which restraint or illegality is removed; permission; allowance; license.
• Leaved Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Bearing, or having, a leaf or leaves; having folds; -- used in combination; as, a four-leaved clover; a two-leaved gate; long-leaved.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Leave
• Leaven Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make light by the action of leaven; to cause to ferment.
- (n.) Any substance that produces, or is designed to produce, fermentation, as in dough or liquids; esp., a portion of fermenting dough, which, mixed with a larger quantity of dough, produces a general change in the mass, and renders it light; yeast; barm.
- (n.) Anything which makes a general assimilating (especially a corrupting) change in the mass.
- (v. t.) To imbue; to infect; to vitiate.