• Livery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The uniform clothing issued by feudal superiors to their retainers and serving as a badge when in military service.
- (n.) The writ by which possession is obtained.
- (n.) A low grade of wool.
- (n.) Hence, also, the peculiar dress or garb appropriated by any association or body of persons to their own use; as, the livery of the London tradesmen, of a priest, of a charity school, etc.; also, the whole body or company of persons wearing such a garb, and entitled to the privileges of the association; as, the whole livery of London.
- (n.) Hence, any characteristic dress or outward appearance.
- (n.) The act of delivering possession of lands or tenements.
- (n.) The peculiar dress by which the servants of a nobleman or gentleman are distinguished; as, a claret-colored livery.
- (n.) The feeding, stabling, and care of horses for compensation; boarding; as, to keep ones horses at livery.
- (n.) An allowance of food statedly given out; a ration, as to a family, to servants, to horses, etc.
- (n.) The keeping of horses in readiness to be hired temporarily for riding or driving; the state of being so kept.
- (v. t.) To clothe in, or as in, livery.
- (n.) Release from wardship; deliverance.
- (n.) That which is delivered out statedly or formally, as clothing, food, etc.
• Liverymen Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Liveryman