• Loss Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) The state of being lost or destroyed; especially, the wreck or foundering of a ship or other vessel.
- (v. t.) The act of losing; failure; destruction; privation; as, the loss of property; loss of money by gaming; loss of health or reputation.
- (v. t.) The state of losing or having lost; the privation, defect, misfortune, harm, etc., which ensues from losing.
- (v. t.) Destruction or diminution of value, if brought about in a manner provided for in the insurance contract (as destruction by fire or wreck, damage by water or smoke), or the death or injury of an insured person; also, the sum paid or payable therefor; as, the losses of the company this year amount to a million of dollars.
- (v. t.) That which is lost or from which one has parted; waste; -- opposed to gain or increase; as, the loss of liquor by leakage was considerable.
- (v. t.) Killed, wounded, and captured persons, or captured property.
- (v. t.) Failure to gain or win; as, loss of a race or battle.
- (v. t.) Failure to use advantageously; as, loss of time.
• Los Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Praise. See Loos.
• Lossful Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Detrimental.