• Mantle Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Same as Mantling.
- (n.) The back of a bird together with the folded wings.
- (v. i.) To unfold and spread out the wings, like a mantle; -- said of hawks. Also used figuratively.
- (n.) The outer wall and casing of a blast furnace, above the hearth.
- (n.) A mantel. See Mantel.
- (n.) A loose garment to be worn over other garments; an enveloping robe; a cloak. Hence, figuratively, a covering or concealing envelope.
- (n.) A penstock for a water wheel.
- (v. i.) To spread out; -- said of wings.
- (v. i.) To spread over the surface as a covering; to overspread; as, the scum mantled on the pool.
- (v. i.) To gather, assume, or take on, a covering, as froth, scum, etc.
- (n.) Any free, outer membrane.
- (v. t.) To cover or envelop, as with a mantle; to cloak; to hide; to disguise.
- (n.) The external fold, or folds, of the soft, exterior membrane of the body of a mollusk. It usually forms a cavity inclosing the gills. See Illusts. of Buccinum, and Byssus.
• Mantlet Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Mantelet.