• Mercurial Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person having mercurial qualities.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to, or containing, mercury; as, mercurial preparations, barometer. See Mercury, 2.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to Mercury as the god of trade; hence, money-making; crafty.
- (a.) Having the qualities fabled to belong to the god Mercury; swift; active; sprightly; fickle; volatile; changeable; as, a mercurial youth; a mercurial temperament.
- (n.) A preparation containing mercury.
- (a.) Caused by the use of mercury; as, mercurial sore mouth.
- (a.) Having the form or image of Mercury; -- applied to ancient guideposts.
• Mercurialism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The morbid condition produced by the excessive use of mercury, or by exposure to its fumes, as in mining or smelting.
• Mercurialize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To treat with mercury; to expose to the vapor of mercury.
- (v. i.) To be sprightly, fantastic, or capricious.
- (v. t.) To affect with mercury.