• Middling Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of middle rank, state, size, or quality; about equally distant from the extremes; medium; moderate; mediocre; ordinary.
• Middle Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) The point or part equally distant from the extremities or exterior limits, as of a line, a surface, or a solid; an intervening point or part in space, time, or order of series; the midst; central portion
- (a.) the waist.
- (a.) Intermediate; intervening.
- (a.) Equally distant from the extreme either of a number of things or of one thing; mean; medial; as, the middle house in a row; a middle rank or station in life; flowers of middle summer; men of middle age.
• Middlings Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) A combination of the coarser parts of ground wheat the finest bran, separated from the fine flour and coarse bran in bolting; -- formerly regarded as valuable only for feed; but now, after separation of the bran, used for making the best quality of flour. Middlings contain a large proportion of gluten.
- (n. pl.) In the southern and western parts of the United States, the portion of the hog between the ham and the shoulder; bacon; -- called also middles.