• Musk Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The perfume emitted by musk, or any perfume somewhat similar.
- (n.) A plant of the genus Erodium (E. moschatum); -- called also musky herons-bill.
- (n.) The musk plant (Mimulus moschatus).
- (n.) The musk deer. See Musk deer (below).
- (n.) A substance of a reddish brown color, and when fresh of the consistence of honey, obtained from a bag being behind the navel of the male musk deer. It has a slightly bitter taste, but is specially remarkable for its powerful and enduring odor. It is used in medicine as a stimulant antispasmodic. The term is also applied to secretions of various other animals, having a similar odor.
- (v. t.) To perfume with musk.
- (n.) A plant of the genus Muscari; grape hyacinth.
• Musket Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A species of firearm formerly carried by the infantry of an army. It was originally fired by means of a match, or matchlock, for which several mechanical appliances (including the flintlock, and finally the percussion lock) were successively substituted. This arm has been generally superseded by the rifle.
- (n.) The male of the sparrow hawk.
• Muskrat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A North American aquatic fur-bearing rodent (Fiber zibethicus). It resembles a rat in color and having a long scaly tail, but the tail is compressed, the bind feet are webbed, and the ears are concealed in the fur. It has scent glands which secrete a substance having a strong odor of musk. Called also musquash, musk beaver, and ondatra.
- (n.) The musk shrew.
- (n.) The desman.