• Opera Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A drama, either tragic or comic, of which music forms an essential part; a drama wholly or mostly sung, consisting of recitative, arials, choruses, duets, trios, etc., with orchestral accompaniment, preludes, and interludes, together with appropriate costumes, scenery, and action; a lyric drama.
- (pl. ) of Opus
- (n.) The house where operas are exhibited.
- (n.) The score of a musical drama, either written or in print; a play set to music.
• Operating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Operate
• Operate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To produce, as an effect; to cause.
- (v. i.) To perform some manual act upon a human body in a methodical manner, and usually with instruments, with a view to restore soundness or health, as in amputation, lithotomy, etc.
- (v. i.) To act or produce effect on the mind; to exert moral power or influence.
- (v. i.) To produce an appropriate physical effect; to issue in the result designed by nature; especially (Med.), to take appropriate effect on the human system.
- (v. i.) To perform a work or labor; to exert power or strengh, physical or mechanical; to act.
- (v. t.) To put into, or to continue in, operation or activity; to work; as, to operate a machine.
- (v. i.) To deal in stocks or any commodity with a view to speculative profits.