• Orient Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To place (a map or chart) so that its east side, north side, etc., lie toward the corresponding parts of the horizon;
- (v. t.) Same as Orientate, 2.
- (v. t.) to rotate (a map attached to a plane table) until the line of direction between any two of its points is parallel to the corresponding direction in nature.
- (a.) Bright; lustrous; superior; pure; perfect; pellucid; -- used of gems and also figuratively, because the most perfect jewels are found in the East.
- (n.) A pearl of great luster.
- (n.) The countries of Asia or the East.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To correct or set right by recurring to first principles; to arrange in order; to orientate.
- (v. t.) To define the position of, in relation to the orient or east; hence, to ascertain the bearings of.
- (a.) Eastern; oriental.
- (a.) Rising, as the sun.
- (n.) The part of the horizon where the sun first appears in the morning; the east.
• Orientation Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The tendency of a revolving body, when suspended in a certain way, to bring the axis of rotation into parallelism with the earths axis.
- (n.) Fig.: A return to first principles; an orderly arrangement.
- (n.) An aspect or fronting to the east; especially (Arch.), the placing of a church so that the chancel, containing the altar toward which the congregation fronts in worship, will be on the east end.
- (n.) The act or process of orientating; determination of the points of the compass, or the east point, in taking bearings.
• Orientness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being orient or bright; splendor.