• Pit Definition & Synonyms
- () A cellar or excavation used for refuge from a cyclone, or tornado.
- (n.) A depression or thin spot in the wall of a duct.
- (n.) A covered deep hole for entrapping wild beasts; a pitfall; hence, a trap; a snare. Also used figuratively.
- (n.) The shaft of a coal mine; a coal pit.
- (n.) The indentation or mark left by a pustule, as in smallpox.
- (n.) A large cavity or hole in the ground, either natural or artificial; a cavity in the surface of a body; an indentation
- (n.) Formerly, that part of a theater, on the floor of the house, below the level of the stage and behind the orchestra; now, in England, commonly the part behind the stalls; in the United States, the parquet; also, the occupants of such a part of a theater.
- (v. t.) To mark with little hollows, as by various pustules; as, a face pitted by smallpox.
- (v. t.) To introduce as an antagonist; to set forward for or in a contest; as, to pit one dog against another.
- (n.) An inclosed area into which gamecocks, dogs, and other animals are brought to fight, or where dogs are trained to kill rats.
- (n.) The endocarp of a drupe, and its contained seed or seeds; a stone; as, a peach pit; a cherry pit, etc.
- (n.) The hollow place under the shoulder or arm; the axilla, or armpit.
- (n.) A large hole in the ground from which material is dug or quarried; as, a stone pit; a gravel pit; or in which material is made by burning; as, a lime pit; a charcoal pit.
- (n.) A depression or hollow in the surface of the human body
- (n.) See Pit of the stomach (below).
- (n.) A vat sunk in the ground; as, a tan pit.
- (n.) Any abyss; especially, the grave, or hades.
- (v. t.) To place or put into a pit or hole.
• Pita Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fiber obtained from the Agave Americana and other related species, -- used for making cordage and paper. Called also pita fiber, and pita thread.
- (n.) The plant which yields the fiber.
• Pitchstone Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An igneous rock of semiglassy nature, having a luster like pitch.