• Rated Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Rate
• Rat Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To catch or kill rats.
- (n.) A round and tapering mass of hair, or similar material, used by women to support the puffs and rolls of their natural hair.
- (n.) One who deserts his party or associates; hence, in the trades, one who works for lower wages than those prescribed by a trades union.
- (n.) One of several species of small rodents of the genus Mus and allied genera, larger than mice, that infest houses, stores, and ships, especially the Norway, or brown, rat (M. decumanus), the black rat (M. rattus), and the roof rat (M. Alexandrinus). These were introduced into America from the Old World.
- (v. i.) In English politics, to desert ones party from interested motives; to forsake ones associates for ones own advantage; in the trades, to work for less wages, or on other conditions, than those established by a trades union.
• Rate Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The order or class to which a war vessel belongs, determined according to its size, armament, etc.; as, first rate, second rate, etc.
- (n.) That which is established as a measure or criterion; degree; standard; rank; proportion; ratio; as, a slow rate of movement; rate of interest is the ratio of the interest to the principal, per annum.
- (v. i.) To make an estimate.
- (v. t.) To settle the relative scale, rank, position, amount, value, or quality of; as, to rate a ship; to rate a seaman; to rate a pension.
- (v. t.) To assess for the payment of a rate or tax.
- (n.) Ratification; approval.
- (v. t. & i.) To chide with vehemence; to scold; to censure violently.
- (v. t.) To ratify.
- (v. i.) To be set or considered in a class; to have rank; as, the ship rates as a ship of the line.
- (v. t.) To set a certain estimate on; to value at a certain price or degree.
- (n.) The class of a merchant vessel for marine insurance, determined by its relative safety as a risk, as A1, A2, etc.
- (n.) The gain or loss of a timepiece in a unit of time; as, daily rate; hourly rate; etc.
- (n.) Order; arrangement.
- (n.) Valuation; price fixed with relation to a standard; cost; charge; as, high or low rates of transportation.
- (n.) A tax or sum assessed by authority on property for public use, according to its income or value; esp., in England, a local tax; as, parish rates; town rates.
- (n.) Established portion or measure; fixed allowance.