• Receiving Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Receive
• Receive Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To admit; to take in; to hold; to contain; to have capacity for; to be able to take in.
- (v. t.) To take from a thief, as goods known to be stolen.
- (v. t.) To be affected by something; to suffer; to be subjected to; as, to receive pleasure or pain; to receive a wound or a blow; to receive damage.
- (v. t.) To give admittance to; to permit to enter, as into ones house, presence, company, and the like; as, to receive a lodger, visitor, ambassador, messenger, etc.
- (v. i.) To receive visitors; to be at home to receive calls; as, she receives on Tuesdays.
- (v. t.) Hence: To gain the knowledge of; to take into the mind by assent to; to give admission to; to accept, as an opinion, notion, etc.; to embrace.
- (v. i.) To return, or bat back, the ball when served; as, it is your turn to receive.
- (v. t.) To take, as something that is offered, given, committed, sent, paid, or the like; to accept; as, to receive money offered in payment of a debt; to receive a gift, a message, or a letter.
- (v. t.) To allow, as a custom, tradition, or the like; to give credence or acceptance to.
- (v. t.) To bat back (the ball) when served.