• Representative Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, represents (anything); that which exhibits a likeness or similitude.
- (a.) Serving or fitted to present the full characters of the type of a group; typical; as, a representative genus in a family.
- (n.) A species or variety which, in any region, takes the place of a similar one in another region.
- (n.) An agent, deputy, or substitute, who supplies the place of another, or others, being invested with his or their authority.
- (n.) That which presents the full character of the type of a group.
- (a.) Bearing the character or power of another; acting for another or others; as, a council representative of the people.
- (n.) A member of the lower or popular house in a State legislature, or in the national Congress.
- (a.) Giving, or existing as, a transcript of what was originally presentative knowledge; as, representative faculties; representative knowledge. See Presentative, 3 and Represent, 8.
- (a.) Fitted to represent; exhibiting a similitude.
- (a.) Conducted by persons chosen to represent, or act as deputies for, the people; as, a representative government.
- (n.) One who represents, or stands in the place of, another.
- (a.) Similar in general appearance, structure, and habits, but living in different regions; -- said of certain species and varieties.
• Representativeness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being representative.