• Severed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. &. p. p.) of Sever
• Sever Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To keep distinct or apart; to except; to exempt.
- (v. t.) To cut or break open or apart; to divide into parts; to cut through; to disjoin; as, to sever the arm or leg.
- (v. t.) To disunite; to disconnect; to terminate; as, to sever an estate in joint tenancy.
- (v. i.) To suffer disjunction; to be parted, or rent asunder; to be separated; to part; to separate.
- (v. t.) To separate, as one from another; to cut off from something; to divide; to part in any way, especially by violence, as by cutting, rending, etc.; as, to sever the head from the body.
- (v. i.) To make a separation or distinction; to distinguish.
• Severe Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Very strict in judgment, discipline, or government; harsh; not mild or indulgent; rigorous; as, severe criticism; severe punishment.
- (superl.) Rigidly methodical, or adherent to rule or principle; exactly conformed to a standard; not allowing or employing unneccessary ornament, amplification, etc.; strict; -- said of style, argument, etc.
- (superl.) Sharp; afflictive; distressing; violent; extreme; as, severe pain, anguish, fortune; severe cold.
- (superl.) Difficult to be endured; exact; critical; rigorous; as, a severe test.
- (superl.) Serious in feeeling or manner; sedate; grave; austere; not light, lively, or cheerful.