• Shad Definition & Synonyms
- (n. sing. & pl.) Any one of several species of food fishes of the Herring family. The American species (Clupea sapidissima), which is abundant on the Atlantic coast and ascends the larger rivers in spring to spawn, is an important market fish. The European allice shad, or alose (C. alosa), and the twaite shad. (C. finta), are less important species.
• Shadowy Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Faintly representative; hence, typical.
- (a.) Hence, dark; obscure; gloomy; dim.
- (a.) Full of shade or shadows; causing shade or shadow.
- (a.) Unsubstantial; unreal; as, shadowy honor.
- (a.) Not brightly luminous; faintly light.
• Shad-spirit Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Shadbird (a)
• Shad-waiter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A lake whitefish; the roundfish. See Roundfish.