• Silver Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Precious; costly.
- (n.) The color of silver.
- (v. t.) To make hoary, or white, like silver.
- (v. t.) To cover with silver; to give a silvery appearance to by applying a metal of a silvery color; as, to silver a pin; to silver a glass mirror plate with an amalgam of tin and mercury.
- (a.) Resembling silver.
- (n.) Coin made of silver; silver money.
- (n.) A soft white metallic element, sonorous, ductile, very malleable, and capable of a high degree of polish. It is found native, and also combined with sulphur, arsenic, antimony, chlorine, etc., in the minerals argentite, proustite, pyrargyrite, ceragyrite, etc. Silver is one of the "noble" metals, so-called, not being easily oxidized, and is used for coin, jewelry, plate, and a great variety of articles. Symbol Ag (Argentum). Atomic weight 107.7. Specific gravity 10.5.
- (v. i.) To acquire a silvery color.
- (a.) Bright; resplendent; white.
- (a.) Sweet; gentle; peaceful.
- (v. t.) To polish like silver; to impart a brightness to, like that of silver.
- (n.) Anything having the luster or appearance of silver.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to silver; made of silver; as, silver leaf; a silver cup.
- (a.) Giving a clear, ringing sound soft and clear.
• Silvered Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Silver
• Silveriness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state of being silvery.