• Sole Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fluid mixture of a colloid and a liquid; a liquid colloidal solution or suspension.
- (a.) Being or acting without another; single; individual; only.
- (n.) A piece of timber attached to the lower part of the rudder, to make it even with the false keel.
- (n.) The seat or bottom of a mine; -- applied to horizontal veins or lodes.
- (n.) The bottom of the foot; hence, also, rarely, the foot itself.
- (n.) The bottom or lower part of anything, or that on which anything rests in standing.
- (v. t.) To furnish with a sole; as, to sole a shoe.
- (n.) Any one of several species of flatfishes of the genus Solea and allied genera of the family Soleidae, especially the common European species (Solea vulgaris), which is a valuable food fish.
- (a.) Single; unmarried; as, a feme sole.
- (n.) The bottom of an embrasure.
- (n.) Any one of several American flounders somewhat resembling the true sole in form or quality, as the California sole (Lepidopsetta bilineata), the long-finned sole (Glyptocephalus zachirus), and other species.
- (n.) The bottom of the body of a plow; -- called also slade; also, the bottom of a furrow.
- (n.) The bottom of a shoe or boot, or the piece of leather which constitutes the bottom.
- (n.) The horny substance under a horses foot, which protects the more tender parts.
• Sole trader Definition & Synonyms
- () A feme sole trader.
• Solecism Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: faux pas
- (n.) An impropriety or incongruity of language in the combination of words or parts of a sentence; esp., deviation from the idiom of a language or from the rules of syntax.
- (n.) Any inconsistency, unfitness, absurdity, or impropriety, as in deeds or manners.