• Sting Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Anything that gives acute pain, bodily or mental; as, the stings of remorse; the stings of reproach.
- (v. t.) A sharp-pointed hollow hair seated on a gland which secrets an acrid fluid, as in nettles. The points of these hairs usually break off in the wound, and the acrid fluid is pressed into it.
- (v. t.) To pierce or wound with a sting; as, bees will sting an animal that irritates them; the nettles stung his hands.
- (v. t.) To goad; to incite, as by taunts or reproaches.
- (v. t.) The thrust of a sting into the flesh; the act of stinging; a wound inflicted by stinging.
- (v. t.) To pain acutely; as, the conscience is stung with remorse; to bite.
- (v. t.) A goad; incitement.
- (v. t.) The point of an epigram or other sarcastic saying.
- (v. t.) Any sharp organ of offense and defense, especially when connected with a poison gland, and adapted to inflict a wound by piercing; as the caudal sting of a scorpion. The sting of a bee or wasp is a modified ovipositor. The caudal sting, or spine, of a sting ray is a modified dorsal fin ray. The term is sometimes applied to the fang of a serpent. See Illust. of Scorpion.
• Stingless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having no sting.
• Stingy Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Extremely close and covetous; meanly avaricious; niggardly; miserly; penurious; as, a stingy churl.
- (a.) Stinging; able to sting.
• Stinger Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, stings.
• Stingaree Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any sting ray. See under 6th Ray.