• Sublime Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Lifted up; high in place; exalted aloft; uplifted; lofty.
- (n.) A grand or lofty style in speaking or writing; a style that expresses lofty conceptions.
- (n.) That which is sublime; -- with the definite article
- (superl.) Awakening or expressing the emotion of awe, adoration, veneration, heroic resolve, etc.; dignified; grand; solemn; stately; -- said of an impressive object in nature, of an action, of a discourse, of a work of art, of a spectacle, etc.; as, sublime scenery; a sublime deed.
- (v. t.) To subject to the process of sublimation; to heat, volatilize, and condense in crystals or powder; to distill off, and condense in solid form; hence, also, to purify.
- (superl.) Distinguished by lofty or noble traits; eminent; -- said of persons.
- (v. t.) To raise on high.
- (v. t.) To exalt; to heighten; to improve; to purify.
- (v. i.) To pass off in vapor, with immediate condensation; specifically, to evaporate or volatilize from the solid state without apparent melting; -- said of those substances, like arsenic, benzoic acid, etc., which do not exhibit a liquid form on heating, except under increased pressure.
- (superl.) Lofty of mien; haughty; proud.
- (n.) That which is grand in nature or art, as distinguished from the merely beautiful.
- (v. t.) To dignify; to ennoble.
- (superl.) Elevated by joy; elate.
• Sublimed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having been subjected to the process of sublimation; hence, also, purified.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Sublime