• Theory Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The science, as distinguished from the art; as, the theory and practice of medicine.
- (n.) A doctrine, or scheme of things, which terminates in speculation or contemplation, without a view to practice; hypothesis; speculation.
- (n.) An exposition of the general or abstract principles of any science; as, the theory of music.
- (n.) The philosophical explanation of phenomena, either physical or moral; as, Lavoisiers theory of combustion; Adam Smiths theory of moral sentiments.