• Understand Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To have the use of the intellectual faculties; to be an intelligent being.
- (v. t.) To have just and adequate ideas of; to apprehended the meaning or intention of; to have knowledge of; to comprehend; to know; as, to understand a problem in Euclid; to understand a proposition or a declaration; the court understands the advocate or his argument; to understand the sacred oracles; to understand a nod or a wink.
- (v. t.) To be apprised, or have information, of; to learn; to be informed of; to hear; as, I understand that Congress has passed the bill.
- (v. i.) To be informed; to have or receive knowledge.
- (v. t.) To stand under; to support.
- (v. t.) To mean without expressing; to imply tacitly; to take for granted; to assume.
- (v. t.) To recognize or hold as being or signifying; to suppose to mean; to interpret; to explain.
• Understander Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who understands, or knows by experience.
• Understanding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Understand
- (n.) The act of one who understands a thing, in any sense of the verb; knowledge; discernment; comprehension; interpretation; explanation.
- (n.) The power to understand; the intellectual faculty; the intelligence; the rational powers collectively conceived an designated; the higher capacities of the intellect; the power to distinguish truth from falsehood, and to adapt means to ends.
- (n.) An agreement of opinion or feeling; adjustment of differences; harmony; anything mutually understood or agreed upon; as, to come to an understanding with another.
- (n.) Specifically, the discursive faculty; the faculty of knowing by the medium or use of general conceptions or relations. In this sense it is contrasted with, and distinguished from, the reason.
- (a.) Knowing; intelligent; skillful; as, he is an understanding man.
• Understandable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being understood; intelligible.