1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
2. Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the asparagus.
3. Bring a sauce pan 3/4 full of water to a boil.
4. Add the asparagus and salt and cook until the spears are just beginning to bend when lifted by the stem, 5-7 minutes. 5. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
6. Wrap each asparagus spear in one slice of prosciutto and place in the baking dish.
7. Dot with the butter and sprinkle with the cheese and pepper.
8. Bake in the oven until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
9. Serve hot directly from the dish.