1. Heat 25g of ghee in a large saucepan with the asafoetida.
2. Add the cauliflower and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Using a spoon, transfer the cauliflower to a bowl and pour yogurt on top of it.
4. Add the remaining ghee to the pan and when it is hot, add the onions, garlic, salt to taste, bay leaves and all the spices expect the chilli powder.
5. Fry until the onions are golden and soft and then stir in the chilli powder.
6. Return the cauliflower and yogurt to the pan and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
7. Cook gently over low heat for 10 minutes.
8. Add the hot water and simmer, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
9. Serve hot.