1. Place walnuts in a medium stock pot.
2. Cover with water and boil for 2 minutes.
3. Strain, but do not rinse.
4. Transfer to a bowl and toss with sugar, while still hot, until well coated.
5. Heat 3 inches of oil in a large saucepan, over medium-high heat.
6. When oil appears to shimmer, fry 1 nut to test for heat.
7. Nut should begin to sizzle immediately.
8. Fry 1/3 batch of nuts at a time, for 4 to 5 minutes, uncovered.
9. Toss nuts before each batch and repeat.
10. Using a slotted spoon, transfer each batch to a cookie sheet to cool.
11. Season to taste, with salt and break apart when cool.
12. Chinese Fried Walnuts are ready.