1. In a saucepan, combine chicken, onion, garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns with 4 cups (1 l) water.
2. Bring to a boil; skim off foam and simmer covered for about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Remove chicken and let cool; reserve broth.
4. Skim fat from chicken broth, if necessary and strain; discard, reserving broth.
5. Remove meat from chicken, discarding bones and cut into bite-size pieces.
6. In a saucepan, combine chicken, broth and remaning ingredients.
7. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.