1. Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan.
2. Add the shallots, red chilli, ginger and garlic and stir-fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, garam masala and turmeric and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
4. Tip in the calms and mussels, stir to mix, and cover tightly.
5. Continue to cook over a high heat for 6-8 minutes or until the clams and mussels have opened.
6. Discard any that remain closed.
7. Stir in the grated coconut and coriander, and mix well.
8. Serve in large individual bowls with wedges of lemon or lime to squeeze over.
9. Eat with your fingers and have plenty of crusty bread on hand to mop up any juices.