1. Boil the soaked rice in four cups of water till just done.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a kadai and deep-fry the sliced onion till golden brown.
4. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
5. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a kadai, add ginger paste and garlic paste and stir-fry for 1 minute.
6. Add the turmeric and chilli powders and stir-fry for one minute.
7. Add the tamarind pulp and cook for two or three minutes.
8. Add salt to taste and mix well. Add the rice and mix thoroughly.
9. Add the roasted sesame seeds and cook for another two minutes.
10. Stir in the chopped coriander leaves and fried onions, and serve immediately.