1. Lamb shanks are ideal for this dish.
2. However, any stewing cuts or 2"" pieces are suitable.
3. Marinade the lamb in half the ginger and garlic pastes for 2 hours.
4. In a non-stick pan heat the oil and saute the onions till reddish brown.
5. Add the remaining ginger and garlic pastes, cumin seeds, salt, poppy seeds, cashew nuts, green chillies and the whole spices (cinnamon, cloves and black peppercorns).
6. Saute for 5 minutes on a moderate flame.
7. Add meat peaces and saute for 8-10 minutes.
8. Every few minutes sprinkle with a tablespoon of water to keep contents of the pan moist.
9. Add 0.5 litre/2 cups water and potatoes.
10. Cover and stew till meat is tender.
11. Add the coconut milk, simmer for a minute then remove from fire.
12. Serve hot with steamed rice.