1. Cut meat into slices 3 1/2 inches long.
2. 1 1/4 inches wide and three-fourths of an inch thick.
3. Cut the slice into half without cutting through.
4. Leaving a join at the end.
5. Open the cut halves to make a single strip, approximately 6 inches long.
6. Beat the joints with the back of a knife to flatten them a bit.
7. In a mixer blend together cloves, cardamoms, papaya or kachri, garlic, onion, ginger, cumin, coconut, nutmeg, peppercorns, poppy seeds and yogurt.
8. Add red chilli powder and salt.
9. Coat the strips with this mixture and leave to marinade for 3 hours.
10. Weave the skewer in and out of the meat strips at 4 points, at regular intervals.
11. The meat will resemble a wavy line, with the skewer running through its centre.
12. Roast over an open charcoal fire or barbeque for 10 minutes.
13. When one side is cooked, baste with butter and roast again for 3-5 minutes.
14. Serve with salad, sliced onions, green chillies and finely cut mint leaves.