1. Clean string beans by breaking off ends.
2. Bring one pot of water to a boil and place string beans and 1 tablespoon of salt in water and cook until tender.
3. Bring a second pot of water to a boil add 2 tablespoons of salt and the penne, cook until just al dente.
4. While string beans and pasta are cooking, peal garlic cloves and crack them by pressing down on them with the side of a chef's knife.
5. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
6. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned.
7. Drain the string beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the water they were cooked in.
8. Add string beans, pasta, salt & pepper and the water to oil and garlic in pan.
9. Stir together for about 1 minute and serve.