1. Wash, peel and dice potatoes in half inch cubes.
2. Make a paste of the green chillies, roasted gram, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and grated coconut with a little water in a blender.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, whole red chillies and curry leaves.
4. When mustard seeds start to splutter add onions and saute lightly.
5. Add turmeric, stir and add tomatoes.
6. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add potatoes, salt and sufficient water to cover potatoes.
8. Cover and simmer till tender.
9. Add the prepared paste and simmer gently for 4-5 minutes.
10. Garnish with chopped coriander.
11. Serve hot with paratha.