1. Place the tomatoes and garlic on a non-stick oven tray, sprinkle them with salt and oregano and bake in a preheated moderate oven at 200C/ 400F until the tomatoes begin to wilt, cool.
2. Put the tomateos and garlic in an electric blender with half the olive oil and, gradually adding the water/stock, blend the soup until smooth.
3. Heat the rest of the olive oil in a large pan and saute the onions until they become tender, stir in the tomato paste/puree, then stir in the soup from the blender.
4. Add 1 cup of the chickpeas, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Pour the soup into bowls or cups, garnish with the remaining chickpeas and the coriander leaves, and serve hot with cursty bread.