2 cups Basmati rice
• 1 medium seedless, fresh brinjal
• 4 tblsps ghee or oil
• 4 green chillies (chopped)
• a small iiece of ginger (crushed)
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• 2 tsps poppy seeds (khus-khus)
• 4 tblsps peanuts (roasted and coarsely ground)
• 1 tblsp sugar
• salt to taste
Wash and drain rice and set aside. Wash and cut the brinjal into small pieces.
Heat oil and add chillies, ginger, cumin, khus-khus and Peanuts. When slightly brown, add sugar and cook till it turns dark brown.
Add brinjal and salt. Stir briskly. Put in 4 cups of hot water, and when it simmers, add rice. Stir gently. Cover and leave on low heat, till the rice is done. Remove from fire and serve hot.