Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 pound penne rigate (penne pasta with ridges)
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• One 26.42-ounce container chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi
• 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
• Block of Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to the boiling water, then add the pasta. Cook according to the package instructions, about 9 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat until the oil starts to shimmer. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, red chile flakes, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chopped basil.
Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano flakes and more basil and serve warm.