Apricots (Khoobani in Urdu) are fruits of several species of
genus Prunus (Stone fruits) . Usually an apricot tree is from the species P.
armeniaca but the species P. brigantina, P. manshurica, P. mume, P. zhengheenis
andP. sibirica have similar fruits and are also called apricots.
Apricots are round and yellow colored fruit, full of vitamin, antioxidants and
fiber. They are extremely nutritious and have several health benefits, like
improved digestion and eye heath.
Below is a list of health benefits of Apricots:
1. Very nutritious and good for weight loss: Apricots are full of nutrients and
contain number of plant antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. On the other hand
apricots are low in calories and thus consider as good food for weight loss,
below is nutritional profile of apricots:
Fresh one whole apricot (35 gm) provides:
Calories : 17
Carbs : 4 gm
Fats : 0.14 gm
Proteins : 0.5 gm
Vitamin A : 4 % of of daily value
Vitamin C : 4 % of daily value
Vitamin E : 2 % of daily value
Potassium : 2 % of daily value
Fiber : 0.7 gm
2. Protection against free radical damage: Apricots contain potent antioxidants
like beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin , all of which help fight free
radicals in our body.
3. May protect against inflammation: Apricots are very good source of catechins,
a group of flavonoide phytonutrients, these phytonutrients have been found very
effective anti-inflammatory nutrients by researchers. These nutrients also help
protect our body from oxidative stress and thus apricots are considering as a
beneficial food in obesity, heart disease, diabetes and other chronic diseases.
4. Good for eye health: Apricots have number of compounds which are essential
for eye health, these include vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene,
lutein and zeaxanthin.Vitamin A has vital role in preventing night blindness,
Vitamin E protects our eyes from free radical damage, while beta carotene serves
as a precursor to vitamin A means our body can convert it to vitamin A, lutein
and zeaxanthin are found in lenses and retinas where they play their role in
protecting oxidative stress.
5. Boosts skin health: Presence of number of antioxidants in apricots boosts
skin health. Vitamin C and Vitamin present in apricots may aid our skin, vitamin
C protects against ultraviolet damage and environmental pollutants. Vitamin C
also helps build collagen which gives our skin elasticity and strength. Beta
carotene is another antioxidant found in apricots, which may protect from sun
6. Treat respiratory ailments: Vitamins and antioxidants present in apricots
like vitamin E and flavanides fight free radicals and protect oxidative stress
and thus helpful in cold and flu and chronic diseases like asthma. Presence of
vitamin C also makes apricots effective in respiratory diseases especially in
cold and flu.
7. Good for digestion and gut health: Apricots are good for digestion and
improve gut health. Apricots contain both soluble and insoluble fibers, the
soluble fibers promote health bowl movements, the fibers break down the fatty
acids fast and thus enhancing digestion. Apricots are high in soluble fibers
which is very much important for maintaining healthy blood sugar and cholesterol
The fiber in this fruit also treats other digestive issues like constipation and
bloating. Fiber also delays movements of food through digestive tract and feeds
beneficial bacteria of the gut.
8. High in Potassium: Apricots have potent amount of potassium, which serves as
an electrolyte in our body. Potassium is responsible for sending nerve signals
and regulating muscle contraction. It also works for maintaining fluid balance.
9. Good source of Iron: Apricots are very good source of Iron, which helps
treating anemia. Iron improves overall production of hemoglobin thus enhancing
the quality of blood as well.
10. Very hydrating: Apricots are high in water which can help regulating body
temperature, blood pressure and joints health. Thus eating apricots helps to
replenish both water and electrolytes loss after exercise as we know this fruit
is also good source of potassium as well.
11. Boost Bone Health: Apricots are also good for bone health due the presence
of calcium. Potassium is very important for absorption of calcium and we know
apricots are rich in potassium which makes apricots good for bone health.
12. May beneficial during pregnancy: Apricots are highly nutritious and should
be consumed enough during pregnancy, presence of iron and copper also makes
apricots as a good food during pregnancy.
13. Delay signs of aging: Presence of vitamin E and other antioxidants in
apricots glows the skin which leads to delay sign of aging. Apricot oil helps in
maintaining skin clarity and elasticity.
14. Apricot oil is good for hair growth: Presence of vitamin E in apricot oil
boosts healthy hair grow and also prevents hair fall. Apricot oil contains both
vitamins E and vitamin A which support skin health and repair, thus it is great
aid to dry scalp, psoriasis and dandruff