• Accept Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To receive with a consenting mind (something offered); as, to accept a gift; -- often followed by of.
- (v. t.) To receive with favor; to approve.
- (v. t.) To receive or admit and agree to; to assent to; as, I accept your proposal, amendment, or excuse.
- (v. t.) To take by the mind; to understand; as, How are these words to be accepted?
- (v. t.) To receive as obligatory and promise to pay; as, to accept a bill of exchange.
- (v. t.) In a deliberate body, to receive in acquittance of a duty imposed; as, to accept the report of a committee. [This makes it the property of the body, and the question is then on its adoption.]
- (a.) Accepted.
• Acceptable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable, worthy, or sure of being accepted or received with pleasure; pleasing to a receiver; gratifying; agreeable; welcome; as, an acceptable present, one acceptable to us.
• Acceptant Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Accepting; receiving.
- (n.) An accepter.