• Aping Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Ape
• Ape Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A dupe.
- (v. t.) To mimic, as an ape imitates human actions; to imitate or follow servilely or irrationally.
- (n.) A quadrumanous mammal, esp. of the family Simiadae, having teeth of the same number and form as in man, and possessing neither a tail nor cheek pouches. The name is applied esp. to species of the genus Hylobates, and is sometimes used as a general term for all Quadrumana. The higher forms, the gorilla, chimpanzee, and ourang, are often called anthropoid apes or man apes.
- (n.) One who imitates servilely (in allusion to the manners of the ape); a mimic.